The Erawan Waterfalls are one of the most iconic sites in Thailand. In spite of their success and the tourists, the cascades preserve a charm and a natural beauty which one must absolutely discover.
A unique natural site
In the middle of the Khao Salob National Park are the famous Erawan Waterfalls. They consist of 7 levels. The turquoise waters end up in the famous Kwae Yai River. To see the first level, you need to climb up to 1500 meters of altitude. No fear, there is no effort to provide for first level. The entrance to the park is a few hundred meters away, right next to the bus stop.
A landscaped and concrete path leads visitors to the first landing. After the 5th level, the climb is steeper and more difficult. Whether you go up to the last level at 2500 meters or that you stop before, you will necessarily love the place for its charm. The waterfalls are not big nor wide. They are lined with lush vegetation which makes the landscape unique. The color of the water is then magnified by the surrounding green and calcareous soil. The color of the water varies between turquoise and emerald.
You marvel because you can swim in these slightly cool waters … the bather can see the fish that come eat the dead skin of the feet. In any case, swimming is really pleasant and remains an experience to live.
The place is known and recognized by many people. So, there are many visitors from 12:00. The place seems to be appreciated by Russian tourists who like to go from pool to pool. Thai tourists are also very present. Despite the omnipresence of tourism, the site is well done and there do not feel too much the presence of tourists … the density of tourists varies depending on the season. The longer the dry season, the emptier the site is … Of course, there is less water!
I Can and I can not !!!!!
The site is extremely well managed. Many instructions are to be respected. It is a natural park where there is a large number of animal species.
- It forbids to pick or damage vegetation
- Pets are forbidden
- Bottled water and food are prohibited in the park. We can eat before the 2nd level. Beyond that, you have to leave the food and water on the shelf. Indeed, food can attract monkeys that are not collaborative.
- Alcohol is forbidden
- No music, no musical instrument
- Prohibition to leave waste in the park.
- Do not go around shirtless!
Advice to optimize your day
The park is quite far away, so it is best to prepare your day. Some practical tips:
- To come early to climb
- Swim as you go down.
- Take aquashoes – water shoes. This is perfect for going into water and going from one level to another.
- Drink and eat before the climb, from the first waterfall.
- Take a swimsuit – it is possible to change at the level of the first waterfall (cabin and showers)
- For children and people with reduced mobility, it is possible to visit and see the waterfalls but only until the 5th
- Take a mosquito repellent and a soothing balm.
How to go there ?
From Kanchanaburi by bus
Go to Kanchanaburi Bus Station and take the shuttle bus directly to the site. You can easily find the bus (see photo)! Ticket price per person 50 baht. It takes 1h15 or 1h30 of road (70 km).
|Kanchanaburi to Erawan Waterfall||Erawan Waterfall to Kanchanaburi|
- Prices :
- For foreigners: adult 300 baht, child 200 baht
- For the locals: adult 100 baht, child 50 baht
- Address: Arawan National Park, Moo 4 Tambon Ta-Kradan, SiSawat District, Kanchanaburi 71250
- Telephone: 0 3457 4222
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to sleep?
Many visitors come from Kanchanaburi and stay only day in the park.
For those who want to enjoy the park, two possibilities:
1. To Camp in the park renting a tent or a bungalow
Bungalow Erawan Waterfalls
Camping Erawan Waterfalls
|Tent 2 persons||90-150|
|Tent 3 persons||225|
|Tent 4 persons||300|
2. To take a room just outside the park. See the list of 29 hotels and Resort
Beyond the waterfall, several sightseeing are to see:
- Phra That Cave
- The very large Wang Badan Cave with its giant stalagmites and stalactites
- The Ta Duang Cave
This post is also available in: Français