On Saturday January 25, the Chinese New Year celebrations begin. City by city, the program for the festivities for the year of the rat!
The year of the Rat
Am I or am I not a rat?
The year of the Rat: I was born in ___________ on ___________:
- 1924: February 5, 1924 – January 23, 1925
- 1936: January 24, 1936 – February 10, 1937
- 1948: February 10, 1948 – January 28, 1949
- 1960: January 28, 1960 – February 14, 1961
- 1972: February 15, 1972 – February 2, 1973
- 1984: February 2, 1984 – February 19, 1985
- 1996: February 19, 1996 – February 6, 1997
- 2008: February 7, 2008 – January 25, 2009
- 2020: January 25, 2020 – February 11, 2021
Note: The Chinese New Year is, depending on the year, between January and February. For people born in this period, they must know when the New Year begins. If you were born before January 25, you are of the sign of the pig, if you are born after February 11, you are of the sign of the buffalo!
A sign and elements
Each Chinese zodiac sign is linked to five vital elements: wood, fire, earth, metal (gold) and water. So each sign comes back in fact every 60 years roughly.
This year is the year of the metal rat which concerns people born in 1960 and 2020. The Metal rat is known to be intelligent, talented, grumpy, jealous, selfish.
- Wood Rat (1924, 1984)
- Fire Rat (1936, 1996)
- The Earth Rat (1948, 2008)
- Metal Rat (1960, 2020)
- Water Rat (1912, 1972)
To know all the qualities, the defects, the compatibilities with the other signs and especially the account of the Chinese zodiac signs, see the small film below:
The Rat, the key points
- The qualities: intelligent, versatile, kind and cute
- Defects: opportunistic, difficult, not very open
- Health: good composition, rats have good health, if rats stress, a trip will restore everything!
- The lucky numbers: 2 and 3
- The lucky colors: blue, gold and green
- Good compatibility with other signs: buffalo, dragon and rabbit
- Rats are not at all friends with: horse and rooster
CELEBRATE THE CHINESE NEW YEAR: BANGKOK AND ITS REGION
Chinatown – Yaowarat Road
Like every year, there will be many people in Bangkok’s Chinatown. The festivities will be held from January 25 to 26, mainly on Yaowarat Avenue. The main stage will be held right next to the main gate of Chinatown. Right at the entrance to Yaowarat Road (see map below).
Friday January 24, 2020: Chinese New Year Eve
These are informal events that will take place throughout Chinatown. There will be parades / dragon dances, but it will mainly be an essentially family evening. This is the time when families get together. It is also the time to distribute the small red envelopes to the children. It is also the traditional visit to the temples.
Saturday January 25, 2020: Chinese New Year
This New Moon evening will therefore launch the New Year. The festivities will start in the morning when many parades with dragons and tigers will head to the main temples of the city.
- Around 3:00 p.m .: he should have the first dragon parade on Yaowarat Road
- 7:00 p.m .: Golden dragon dance
- 8:20 p.m .: Fan Dance
- 8:30 p.m .: Beginning of the festivities on the main stage
- 9:30 p.m .: Dragon Parade
- 22:50: Show of traditional drummers
- Midnight: Happy New Year: Xin Nian Hao
Sunday January 26: New Year’s Day – Family rest day
Still animations, the street remaining closed to the circulation of many dragons will pass from time to time … but in fewer numbers than the day before.
Samut Prakan : Lantern Festival
The lantern festival started on January 22 and ends on February 16, 2020. Chinese New Year is celebrated in Samut Prakan. More than 5,000 lanterns representing men, animals and gods will be visible from 6 p.m. at the Katanyu Foundation. To get there: all practical information see this post here.
Note: The lantern festival of Samut Prakan is really worth seeing. A memorable evening for the whole family.
A dditional reading: What do we eat at Chinese New Year?
The other cities in Thailand
The main events will take place:
- Not far from the Ping River, place for pedestrians to celebrate the new year. Many events in the markets.
- Don’t forget to go to the Chinese temples of Guan Yu and Pung Tao Gong.
- Chinatown: dragon and lion dances, beauty contest, food fair, craft products, etc.
The focal point of the New Year will take place around the Descending Dragon Museum: “Descending Dragon” show: dragon dances, drum dance, lion dance, martial arts show, food fair, etc.
This is not the city with the largest Chinese community, but most of the festivities will take place on Walking Street.
Exhibition, dragon dance, concerts by famous groups and shows
In the city center: giant dragon show (20 meters long), lion dance; beauty contest, food fair, etc.
Phuket’s Old Town Plaza: the whole old town will come alive for the New Year and take on colors thanks to the numerous lanterns that will decorate the center. Added to this are cultural shows and a food fair.
Another place, the Central Phuket Floresta: Shows by Chinese and Thai artists. Food fair, fashion items.
There will be entertainment in all the ancient temples. Added to this are lantern and Miss competitions, dragon dances, cultural shows, processions, etc.
This post is also available in: Français